Manchester’s Spanish and Portuguese synagogue has served the area since 1874. Now listed, it survived the Manchester blitz
while the terraced houses that surrounded it were destroyed. These houses were replaced by an industrial estate, shopping centre and the most ethnically-diverse road in the UK, speaking over 70 languages. To continue to serve its community through outreach and engagement, the synagogue is undergoing a £6m redevelopment, of which Valencia Communities Fund contributed £100,000 towards the roof of the museum. This funding helped to stabilise and weather-proof the roof, protecting the precious collections from water ingress.
Main image (C) Chris Payne